Keep Kids Fire Safety:
Prevention and safety messages to share
The U.S. Fire Administration (USFA) reviews and collects resources that can be used in public outreach activities to help keep children safe from fire. Explore these materials to learn more about discussing fire safety with parents, teachers and other caregivers.
for more information please visit: www.usfa.fema.gov/prevention/outreach/children.html
Make an escape plan
It is important to have a plan when there are children in the home. Children sometimes need help getting out of the house, and they may not know how to escape or what to do unless an adult shows them.
- Have a plan for young children who cannot get outside by themselves. You will need to wake babies and very young children and help them get out. In your plan, talk about who will help each child get out safely.
- Know two ways out of every room. It is important to find two ways out of every room in the house, in case one exit is blocked or dangerous to use.
- Choose a meeting place outside the home. Children should know what to do when they hear a smoke alarm and there is no adult around. Help them practice going to the outside meeting place. Teach them to never go back inside a building that is on fire.
Keep children safe from fire and burns
Some children are curious about fire. There are simple steps you can take to keep you and the people you love safer from fire and burns.
- Keep children 3 feet away from anything that can get hot. Space heaters and stove-tops can cause terrible burns. Keep children at least 3 feet away from stoves, heaters or anything that gets hot.
- Keep smoking materials locked up in a high place. Never leave cigarette lighters or matches where children can reach them.
- Never play with lighters or matches when you are with your children. Children may try to do the same things they see you do.
How to print after download
These hangers are easy to print and assemble on ready-made perforated door hanger templates that you can buy at your local or online office supply store. We recommend buying templates with the following specifications:
- 90 lb. stock
- 2-up on 8.5″ x 11″ sheet
- 1.25″ perforated hole (left in)
- Microperforated between door hangers
- Compatible with copiers, laser, inkjet and offset presses